Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hello Mojo

Well it's been a long long journey from my first pregnancy 5 years ago my second 3 years ago and then Post Natal Depression for 18months. Urgh! Hormonal imbalances and crazy brain has finally abated and my cooking mojo (and happy fun mojo!) is back! Everyone's happy. 

Ok so the pic of the preserved roasted capsicum looks.. erm.. unappetizing but they taste very nice. Sweet pickled.

The latest made up recipe is a treat, Apple Almond cake, It's moist like flourless orange cake, except has flour.. and no oranges.
The other night I did a beef casserole with Patritti and the next night when we had the love bird's over for dinner I made the BEST pastry in the whole world and stuck the casserole left overs in it. YUUUUM!


These pics don't really show anything amazing but it's all I've got for now. I ordered some millet flour, rye flour and a whole bunch of nuts, dried fruit and seeds etc from our last co-op order.

Helen (the lady who does the health food orders for me) and I both decided we're sick to the teeth of it. Sooo much work (doing it properly) with nothing in return. Not that getting something in return is sought after, but after doing this damned thing for 7 years now (and Helen for about a year I think) it gets draining, annoying and we end up resentful at those who can't be bothered to pick up on time, pay on time or even get the fact that it's voluntary and share the load a bit.

There are some absolute gems that genuinely are thankful and will help when they can! But generally after each order and the pain in the butt things that happen we don't feel very good about anyone and resent doing it. But how would we get the goodies!?! Aren't most humans motivated by self interest? Of course.

What I DO love is having a home stocked with wholesome ingredients, healthy great quality produce and having the satisfaction of cooking with them knowing the nutritional value is high.


This time I got millet and rye flours to try them out. The rye flour made great sesame rye crackers, nice and crunchy but not too hard. Nice with cheese. It also made GREAT 50:50 unbleached wholegrain and rye flour bread rolls. I know I know, they look flat. I didn't let them rise for very long and it's a sourdough starter so they really needed all day. They were soooo fluffy! Even the next day. PERFECT burger bun recipe. Found it finally!!


 Gotta hurry up and pack these babies before the kids get too comfortable. There's a mouse in this house! I'm sure it won't be interested in the health food. There's plenty elsewhere

I pack dry goods (with oil/moisture content less than 10%) like THIS

No comments: